According to the Law of Ukraine”On Assurance of Sanitary and Epidemiological Safety of People of Ukraine” the objects of sanitary and epidemiological expertise are:
• Projects of the normative and technical documentation related to the health and safety of population;
• Products, semi-finished products, substances, materials, and hazard factors, the usage, transfer and marketing of which may cause harm to human health;
• Documentation on developing techniques, technology, equipment, tools.
Sanitary and epidemiological conclusion, or a hygienic certificate, is a document certifying that the product, activity, or technical conditions meet the specified hygiene standards and sanitary regulations effective in Ukraine.
Sanitary and epidemiological conclusion is granted by the bodies of Sanitary and Epidemiological Inspectorate, after conducting the expertise of the product (conditions of production, technical specifications) on the basis of the protocols of tests and the submitted documents.
The product that imported into Ukraine is also subject to sanitary and epidemiological expertise.
There are three types of sanitary and epidemiological conclusions (hereinafter, Certificates):
• On product
• On types of activity (production, trade, catering etc,)
• On technical specifications (ТУ).
Period of validity of conclusion is from 1 year to 5 years (the decision depends on of the type of product, production conditions, submitted documents and, of course, on an expert of the body considering the case).
However, as a rule, the period of validity of conclusion:
1. on product is from 1 to 5 years or under a contract;
2. on experimental batch of product – up to 1 year;
3. on types of activity, works, service - for indefinite period, except for temporary and season works;
4. on project documentation - for indefinite period, or for fixed time in case of the reasonable necessity.
The nomenclature of the certain types of activity that is subject to sanitary and epidemiological expertise is defined on the basis of codes КВЭД (the Codes of External Economic Activity).
In other words, all kinds of goods for children, everything we eat, drink, wear, and use in everyday life, everything that is in contact with human skin are subject to sanitary and epidemiological expertise.